Sign up to volunteer

Do you want to volunteer? 

Fill out this quick and easy form, and we'll be in touch. 



Thanks for sending a message!

We know that we are strongest when we work together. We need to build a national movement for proportional representation so that MPs know Canadians care about making every vote count. 

Help us spread the word!



Leadnow is sustained by thousands of small, individual donations from across the country. Can you chip in to help fund the Vote Better campaign?



Will your MP be our next Democracy Hero and sign the pledge to bring electoral reform back? Use the box to the right to sign the petition and ask them to sign on. And check out if your MP is already on the list here.

Leadnow is launching the Democracy Heroes campaign. The ask is simple: we want MPs to sign a pledge that they will work together to put electoral reform back on the table, so we ensure no one wins 100% of the power with just 39% of the vote ever again. Click here to see who's already signed on!

Here’s the pledge:

I agree that every vote should count and that it's wrong for a party to win 100% of the power with less than half of the vote. I am committed to working within my party to put electoral reform back on the table.

If enough MPs, especially Liberal ones, start signing on, Justin Trudeau will either have to put electoral reform back on the table or face a revolt within his own party.

We’re working on a tight timeline, from now until the end of May, when we've heard there could be a key vote on electoral reform in the House of Commons. If it passes it could help build momentum towards bringing electoral reform back. To get enough MPs on board to make an impact during this key moment in May, we’ll need to determine which MPs will stand with us. But MPs won’t sign onto this pledge unless they get serious pressure from their constituents to do so. That’s where you come in.

Will you take the first step and ask your MP to be a Democracy Hero and sign this pledge to bring electoral reform back?





Add Your Voice
Your Info
Your Message
Leadnow will respect your privacy, and keep you updated about this campaign and others.
9,839
supporters so far

What is Proportional Representation?

First-Past-The-Post

40% of the votes = 100% of the power


If you feel like your vote doesn’t count, you’re not alone. Thanks to our current first-past-the-post (FPTP) voting system, the candidate with the highest number of votes wins, even if they have less than 50% of the vote.

Under FPTP, an MP can win their seat with as little as 30% of the popular vote. That means the other 70% of people who voted for other candidates are left unrepresented. 

FPTP means there are millions of wasted votes at each and every election. It also means that parties can win a majority of the seats in Parliament without support from a majority of Canadians.

Proportional Representation

40% of the votes = 40% of the power


Proportional representation (PR) is the principle that all votes should contribute to the result of an election. With PR, the share of seats a party wins would roughly match their share of the popular vote. No more wasted votes. No more false majority governments.

PR would mean fair elections where every vote counts, more diversity in Parliament, and more collaboration between political parties. It’s used by over 90 countries around the world, including places like Germany, New Zealand and Sweden.

The Leadnow community hasn't endorsed a particular type of PR system yet. Two examples of PR systems that are tried and tested in other parts of the world are Mixed-Member Proportional and Single Transferable Vote. Learn more about them here!

Why Now?

On February 1st, Justin Trudeau announced he was breaking his promise on electoral reform. 

Now we've heard there will be one final vote in the House of Commons on May 31st to concur with the Special Committee on Electoral Reform's final report, which recommended proportional representation. If it passes, it could generate the political will and momentum to get the Liberals to come back to the table. But it will only pass if a handful of Liberals decide to be Democracy Heroes and vote in support.

Want your MP to stand up for electoral reform and vote for the motion? Learn how you can take action in your riding. 



Latest News

Leadnow
The Story of Vote Better
A report back on our community's work on electoral reform over the last year and a half
June 1, 2017
Leadnow
Help Us Bring ER Back
The Liberals have announced that they will not be following through on their election promise to replace our broken first-past-the-post electoral system. But we aren't giving up. Read on for updates on how you can help #BringERBack.
 
February 8, 2017
Leadnow
Results of the My Democracy survey and next steps
What came out of the government's MyDemocracy.ca, and what's coming up for the Vote Better campaign.
January 25, 2017